No Products in the Cart
Most people are not aware of the natural healing benefits of Wool. Not only is Wool a comforting and warm material that can be used for many products such as footwear, blankets and clothing, it also has natural healing properties that are of great Medical benefit for patients in home care and hospitals. Wool as a preventive part of treatment offers much needed relief for so many suffering from a multitude of ailments, as well as effective cost savings for hospitals, patients, and their families.
Below is an image of a single magnified wool fibre, showing the incredible complexity of this miracle fibre.
How fantastic of nature to provide all of these benefits in one tiny wool fibre!
Most people are unaware of the fact that our skin needs to breathe. Because wool breathes and can hold 30-40% of its weight in moisture, it helps prevent the ability of bacteria to be able to grow and thrive and can help promote the healing time of those who are experiencing sores. Sleeping with wool allows our skin to breathe while we are sleeping.
Moisture Regulation - Bacteria Control
Wool is a natural body moisture regulator. Our bodies are 55%-75% water. Studies show we lose approximately 1 litre of moisture a night (2oz. of vapor moisture per hour). Wool is the only natural fibre that can absorb up to 30--40% (1/3) of its weight in moisture AND disperses it, keeping your body dry. Wool’s hollow fibre promotes air circulation and prevents bacterial growth. Bacteria can only grow in moisture; wool‘s natural fibre wicks moisture away from the skin preventing the conditions that allow bacteria to thrive.
Built-In “Climate” Control for your Body
Studies have shown that Sheep’s Wool is also a natural insulator, keeping our bodies at a perfect constant body temperature of 37°C/98.6°F. Thus Wool not only provides warmth, but regulates it. The air confined within wool fibre acts as an insulator, keeping people cozy in the winter and cool in the summer. Maintenance of body temperature at 98.6°F promotes blood circulation and a lowering of heart rate, offering patients a deep, uninterrupted sleep.
Pressure Relief & Comfort
Wool is a nurturing, natural, hollow fibre that provides a soft cushioning layer for comfort. The coiled spring-like tubular structure of wool fibre allows it to bend up to 20,000 times before breaking. What does this mean? Wool’s flexibility provides gentle flexible support and pressure relief while preventing shearing, providing the perfect solution for bedridden patients. Wool reduces patient healing time and increases comfort and well being.
*Case studies show that wool bedcovers can be as effective at treating bedsores as costly airbeds used in hospitals, and are much more affordable. The first signs of the skin reddening is an indication of lack of blood supply to the area of the body and then skin breakdown happens within a few days. Wool will prevent this breakdown. Bedsores are agonizing! Don’t wait.. use wool’s healing powers!
For more information on how our Wool products help with healing specific ailments, read more about Wool Relief here.
At Soul Comfort Sheepskin, we use only the best quality wool - 100% Australian & New Zealand Sheepskin or Sheep Wool Fabric. The right Wool to choose is based on your NEEDS:
Natural Sheepskin Wool
For patients who are not bedridden and able to get dressed - for regular and specialty footwear products. Lukewarm washable.
Sheep Wool Fabric
For palliative care patients. Meets Canadian National Infection Control Standards. Our Sheep Wool Fabric is Machine Washable at 70°C.
A few more facts about Sheep Wool Fabric:
• Our Sheep Wool Fabric is sheared at ½” and 1” lengths. This combination prevents chafing.
• Sheep Wool Fabric consists of 950 grams of sheep’s wool per square meter, matching the Medical Sheepskins in wool density (between 4,000 and 6,000 fibres per square cm).
• Wool fibres are woven into an Acrylic porous backing and stabilized with a Potato Starch.
• Lanolin is totally removed from the wool through the super wash process, improving its Washability.
• Our Medical grade Sheep Wool Fabric is remarkably durable. It can sustain years of washing and does not pill or fray.
• Our Sheep Wool Fabric is Machine Washable at 70°C. Machine dry only 85% as wool loves moisture and will release the moisture on its own.
Why Use an Acrylic Backing and Potato Starch?
• Acrylics used in clothing and drapery industries for over 30 years with no reported cases of allergies.
• Acrylic doesn't mildew or get moldy.
• Acrylic dries quickly, and doesn't lose shape.
• Potato Starch has been used to iron shirts and press clothing and is an organic stabilizer.